How To Trust God When The Going Gets Tough
Hello! I’m so glad you’re here! There’s a chill in the air this morning so I invite you to pull up a chair, grab a cup of something warm, and join me for a visit.
If you’re new to the blog, you’ve joined us in the midst of a personal experience story about how to trust God when life throws you a serious curve ball. You are more than welcome to jump right in here! But I would like to encourage you to go back at least four posts to the start of the real estate purchase part of the story. Or even at the beginning of the “Miracles Series”. It will help this post make more sense. But you are more than welcome to start right here!
If you decide to read the earlier posts there are links at the end of this post.
For you that have been following along, I have a favor to ask. If you’re enjoying this story, please leave a comment. Even if it’s just one word! That way I know you’re reading it! And hopefully enjoying it!
Also, if you have trouble posting your comment please let me know! Please send me an email to email@example.com and let me know! Some people are having trouble posting comments. THANK YOU!!
Ok, let’s get back to our story!!
The Still Small Voice
From last week’s post you know that “still, small, voice” deep down inside moved me to check out a real estate listings website which led me to finding the place with the trees I’ve been admiring for several years.
But it was way out of my price range. And the sellers real estate agent said they would NOT accept an offer for lower than their purchase price.
But I made a lower offer anyway. Not a low-ball offer, but a solid, value based offer.
The property had been on the market for a couple years and the owners had already received some offers, but had not accepted them.
Before they listed the property for sale, the owners had prayed for the “right person” to buy their place. None of the previous offers felt “right“.
Months earlier I had prayed for God’s perfect place for me here in the Cortez area.
When I came to look at the property and stepped out of the car crying because I had found the beautiful trees I had admired for years,
But they still countered my offer.
We countered back.
And they took that offer!
But The Deal Was A Long Way From Done
Now that I had a contract I could see if I could get financing.
But that was going to take a miracle.
Between my business tanking with the economy, Delta County not being able to renew my contract, and rentals that had been vandalized and sat empty for months, my credit worthiness was in the . . . well . . . I’ll keep it mildly clean . . . the toilet.
Normally, to buy a house you have 20% down, and get a mortgage. Right? Well that was not going to happen for me. Back when I thought I was going to be homeless because my roommate moved back to Delta County, I had been scrambling and found a farm loan program that would work if, and that’s a BIG if, the property was ag, and everything fit together perfectly.
The loan application was almost an inch thick! But I bravely worked through it. When I turned it in the loan officer immediate had a list of additional information he needed to just get started.
I worked diligently to gather the additional information. And frankly, if it hadn’t been for an incredibly generous friend, and believe it or not, my ex-husband, the loan would never have happened. But with their generous help I was able to get a couple big items that popped up on my credit report paid off.
That really seemed to make a difference with my loan officer. It started to look like this was a possibility. But there were so many issues I didn’t get my hopes up. At all!
I just prayed over it every day and asked for God’s will with the purchase and all dealings associated with it.
Learning How To Trust God and His Timelines
On a normal contract to purchase there is a timeline. The specified dates are set and agreed upon for each the necessary components needed to complete the sale/purchase. Each task was tied to a date and those dates are agreed upon before the contract is signed.
The first issue to rear its ugly head with the timeline turned out to be because of the lender. The Farm Credit Agency didn’t know if they were even going to get funded for 2015.
Talk about bursting your bubble!
All that work on the contract, diligent work on the loan application, getting old bills cleaned up, only to have every thing put on hold for a month because of the government.
We signed the contract in early November, but the government didn’t approve the 2015 ag service budget until the end of January. By then we had missed several deadlines and had to change all the dates.
The sellers real estate agent was not pleasant about it, but every time there was an issue the seller and I were able to work everything out and come to an amicable agreement.
This irritated the seller’s agent immensely.
Things were finally moving along and everything looked good, until I tried to get commitments from the surrounding neighbors for the additional irrigation water the sellers had been using.
One neighbor had sold the two shares the sellers had been using and the other neighbor simply didn’t trust a “newby” and wouldn’t let me use it.
I finally located additional water and agreed to lease it, if the sale went through.
Things were once again moving forward.
Until we got to the appraisal back.
There was a problem with the boundary lines on the plat map. It didn’t match the survey on record.
The owner said he had paid for a plat map update and he was not going to provide a survey.
This was a big problem. I was not going to buy property that didn’t match the legal records.
The lender would not fund the loan if the situation wasn’t corrected.
It was the sellers agent’s responsibility to get the paperwork corrected, but she was having plastic surgery of some sort and couldn’t be bothered with the details.
So I went to work. I worked with the County Planner, the Assessor, the County Land Use Department, the County Attorney, the surveyor . . .
You get the picture.
On Tuesday I was finally able to get the surveyor to sign off on the correct information. The closing was scheduled for Friday morning.
Miraculously it looked like the deal might actually go through.
But late Wednesday afternoon my lender called and said neither the title company or the sellers agent had called him to confirm the closing. So no funds had been requested. It took two days to request and wire in the funds. There was no way to close on Friday.
The sellers agent went ballistic!
Add to all this, we were still at a stalemate over who was paying for the survey.
I gave up.
My sister and I had a long talk about it. There were several times throughout the course of this ordeal that we were both ready to throw in the towel and then some miraculous thing would happen and the disaster of the day would smooth over and the deal would be back on again.
Was I being tested? Was this an exercise in learning to trust God more?
But the cost of the survey and now, no funds were more than I could take.
I told her apparently this is not meant to happen.
I was tired of the fighting, tired of the stress.
I was done.
The deal was done.
Or was it???
You’ll have to come back next week and find out!
I PROMISE to Never give away or sell your email address so you can subscribe with confidence!
Have a Great and Godly day!
And remember to trust God!
Previous Miracle Posts: